The covered bridges of Parke County are well-known tourist attractions in Parke County, Indiana, which touts itself as the “Covered Bridge Capital of the World”. The county has more covered bridges than any other county in the United States. This is due to several reasons, mainly due to the numerous streams and creeks in the county, and having the natural resources and designers to build the bridges.
Most were built of tulip poplar wood and built with a Burr Arch style. The main designers of the bridges were J.J. Daniels and J.A. Britton.
At one time, as many as 53 covered bridges existed (wholly or in part) in Parke County. Today, 31 of those bridges survive, 10 of which have been closed to vehicle traffic.
The West Union Covered Bridge, at 315 feet, is the longest covered bridge in Parke County. At just 43 feet in length, the Phillips Covered Bridge is the shortest in the county. And, the Portland Mills Covered Bridge, built in 1856, is the oldest of the county’s covered bridges.